Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dynamo Copper Lager

So there is this bar in Chicago in the Avondale neighborhood called Kuma's Corner. I was having an exploratory day and had heard of this bar because of their burgers and their whiskey on tap (yes, on tap). It was hot and I had been walking around a lot. Earlier I had eaten a fine meal from one of my new favorite restaurants, Hot Doug's: The Sausage Superstore (no joke). I was full from the greasefest and thirsty but not parched from the heat. I needed a good brew as a comfort blanket to the hot dog and fries. Nothing too thick but I wanted something with some flavor. When I saw the title of this beer "copper lager" it seemed like an interesting combination so I gave it a go.

Well first off it's a lager but with a solid copper color rather than a bold yellow color. My goodness this was refreshing. It was partially the situation but also just the smooth finish. It was smooth like a lager but I felt that this had a more bold flavor than most lagers. It was very hoppy but it had a nice balance of malts in the aftertaste. There was a very nice hint of spice in the taste that the malty finish cancelled out. It was very interesting because this was a very full-bodied beer but it was not too filling. Usually a beer with a bold taste can be a one and done but this didn't fill me up too much at all. The brew finished great! I refreshed myself with a shot of spicy Buffalo Trace whiskey (on tap) and headed out the door on my way home. All in all a good day of exploration.

Beermigos Rating - The Burger and a Brew Rating: This was a tough call between this rating and an In-Laws beer. I chose this because I know that this beer would go fantastic with a burger. At 5.6% ABV it's not a thumper but it's still plenty. Frankly I've been thinking about this beer since I drank it and if I saw this as a deal with a burger it would be too good to pass up. This flaovor would hold it's own not only against a burger but with a lot of different foods. It complimented my hot dog well. But really this beer could be drunk at anytime, that's how much I loved it.

No comments: