Friday, January 6, 2012

Boneyard IRA

Recently, perhaps I've spent a bit too much effort on my palate of vinafera--this being a direct result of outrageous quanties (read:free) of fermented grape juice. Despite this, I've struggled against the grain (pun intended) and have made the extra effort for fellow beermigos. Availability and consistency may be in flux, but my preferences remain the same; as we all know, in beer, wine and women, my tastebuds favor reds.

And the Boneyard is a whippersnapper! I mistook it at first glance--and indeed glanced no further--for I believed it to be a Boneyard IPA, which in it's own right it a magnificent brew, but when informed otherwise, that the on-tap offering was the India Red Ale instead, I could not help but congratulate my good fortune.

As with most Red Ales, Boneyard's was sufficiently well-hopped and malted with complexity. The unique part was the bitterness, more like a dried-out old elk skull than the heavy floral heartiness of the West Cascade beers. And that sere, unforgiving dryness on that finish, that's the rodeo. Definitely from the other side of the mountains.

Status: Burger and Brew: Alongside a Hellion Jalepeno Burger from Cornucopia, the compliment of food helped keep me calm despite the natural nationalism inspired by the IRA.

No comments: