Monday, March 30, 2009

Raison D'Extra

Enjoying the company of the special lady friend for the first time in about five days, I felt I needed to run down to the best watering hole in all of Eugene, possibly Oregon, the Bierstein. It not only has eight or more beers on tap at a time, but three hundred different bottles in their refrigerator. A Beermigos' dream. I picked this brew from Dogfish Head because I was in an adventurous mood, and I know what you're thinking, picking a beer to be adventurous is semi-lame but give me a break, it's a monday night.

While the girls were watching their Gossip Girl, I needed something high in alcohol to make it through the pain that is that horrible TV show (I try not to be negative, but it's just sooooo bad). Well I definitely picked the right beer. According to their website, it's at 18 ABV thus only needing one of them to effectively block out the TV while playing Bubble Spinner. It was incredibly complex, as to be expected of a Dogfish Head creation. It's a fairly traditional brown ale with a slight nut taste, but then out of no where, an extreme sweetness takes the tongue hostage via the raisins they used in the wort. RAISINS? Are you kidding me? These guys can find a way to mix just about anything with malt, hops, and yeast.

While the raisin taste comes crashing in out of no where, it fades away very comfortably and leaves nothing nasty hanging. The only thing this brew left was a fantastic buzz from it's high ABV.

Beermigos rating: Onesy/Contemplating the Meaning of Life Brew: This one is so very unique that it can only be created by Dogfish Head. It really shocks you at first, but the taste becomes very comfortably sweet once you know what is coming. With the high ABV, you definitely don't want to be pounding these away, and could start some epic conversations because of it's complexity.


P.S. The Special Lady Friend didn't like it, but I did.

No comments: