Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Three Floyd's: Alpha King Pale Ale

This brewhaha comes from the brewing company known as Three Floyd's. This brewery is based in Munster, Indiana. They primarily serve their brews in Indiana and Illinois (especially Chicago) but I've found a small bar in Pennsylvania through the internet that has them on tap as well. I've had another one of their beers called Gumball Head which was damn good and had gumball flavoring in it. This, however, was very different and quite a delight.

I had gotten off work, taken the El home, had a lie down (not a nap) and then went out with the notepad for a beer. I got a couple of looks for sitting at a bar on a Thursday night by myself at midnight, but what the heck. I was mostly thinking about my kids at work and how to handle them. It had been a good day so positive thoughts were on the mind. But I was off work and it was time to think about something else. The beer in front sufficed.

This beer had a reddish-orangish color to it. The first sip surprised me with its potent flavor. According to their website, Three Floyd's says that this is a Pale Ale jam packed with hops and contains a citrusy flavor. Could've fooled me. I could taste and smell the sweetness but it seemed like more of a malty sweetness rather than a citrusy sweetness, particularly in the aftertaste. There also seemed to be just a hint of molasses in it as well. The aftertaste just left me with an unbelievably settling feeling.

Beermigos Rating - Debating the Meaning of Life with your own Beermigos Brew:
Dude, this beer is apparently packed with Centennial, Cascade and Warrior hops but I swear to God there was some serious maltness to it that overpowered the hops. Even with this confusion you can't help but feel good and relaxed because it tastes so good. At the same time though, the confusion also rises questions. This is essential to beginning a debate on the meaning of life. At 6% ABV it gives you that perfect buzz for having a man-chat with your beermigos about greater spiritual things.

No comments: