Sunday, October 5, 2008

Iron Horse IPA

I am finishing up this fine IPA from the glorious state of Washington as I write this entry, and am thoroughly enjoying it, just like every beer I drink. It's a pretty typical fall night right now, it's really started to rain and moisten up around these parts, which is alright because now I feel like drinking heavier beers because of the colder weather. As a side note, thank you for your addition to the FFF Douglas, and I did get your post card, so YING YANG TWINS UP IN THIS B-I-ITCH (that means thanks)! I also just finished updating myself on Douglas' travels on his other blog. He seems to be having an awesome time, which I always love to read about my beermigo's experiences.

This brew is a pretty typical IPA; Hops are the dominant theme. Taking the first sniff of it, I could tell it was going to be bitter because of the strong Cascade hop aroma that exploded out of my glass (that's a guess and I'll explain my reasoning later). Typical copper color with an off white head, and again, the hops dominate to the point where my inexperienced tongue can't muster up any other flavors.

As to why I am guessing they used Cascade hops, is because I embarked on a first time journey today. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I brewed my first batch of beer. The Big Guy helped out with organizing stuff, and it was nice spending the time with him, but the smells are what had me in pure euphoria. I think my favorite smell combination was right after I poured the malt in, after the barley grains had been removed. My concoction had that faint oatmeal smell, with the added smell of the sweet malt just set my beer libido on fire. But when I was breaking up the hops, it expelled a herb filled aroma that is unforgettable, the same smell that came from the Iron Horse. It took a couple of hours to finish the process for now, thus I figured all of that hard work earned myself the Iron Horse that was sitting in the fridge.

No comments: