Friday, November 21, 2008

Fun Fact Friday!

GGGGGGOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD afternoon my beermigos, hope everything is going well in your lives along with setting up plans to get some massive grub for Thanksgiving in 6 days. I stumbled upon this interesting morsel of info while reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about the Dogfish Head Brewery. There was a specific brew that seems to be escaping me at the moment, that is fermented in a specific wood that's grown only in Central America. This wood is known for it's toughness and constant aroma. Before this article, I had no idea as to how we measured the toughness of wood, but now I do. It's called the Janka scale, or the Janka hardness test. How it measures the wood's toughness is by the amount of force that is required to lodge a 11.28 millimeter steel ball half way through the diameter of the wood. Crazy huh? Depending on where you live it can mean different amounts due to the measurement of force your country uses. For example, the US uses pounds-force whereas in Australia they would use Newtons or Kilonewtons. A commonly seen tree in my neck of the woods is the Douglas-Fir, it has a Janka ranking of 660, where as the toughest the Lignum Vitae,has a ranking of 4500.

Hopefully I'll actually post some sort of review of a beer before Thanksgiving, but there are no promises. PROUST!

No comments: