Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stuart and Bruce's Fruity Bash!

OK, that's not the real name of the beer, but the two mensches that put the hard work into this ale couldn't think of anything more serious. This was the second home brew that I've completed, and I had the utmost pleasure of making the wort, and beginning the fermentation process with Douglas. To give you sports fans some kind of time frame, we did this on the same day as the Wild Card game of the Atlanta Falcons visiting the Arizona Cardinals. While the recipe called for the beer to prime for four weeks after being bottled, I couldn't contain myself and had one after a week. It tasted OK, but I could tell that it would be much better three weeks from then. Yet this weekend while watching the Oscars with the Special Lady Friend and some of her gal pals, I couldn't resist again and cracked one open, two weeks post the original opening. The title of the beer is completely mis-leading, there is no fruit in the beer, but rather a bit of fruitiness was in order during the brew (the Circle of Purple jokes ran a muck that day). The aroma was a little weaker than expected, but still very present. I didn't get a chance to get a real look at the color of it because I drank straight from the bottle, but I'm guessing it was a cloudy amber. The taste, I felt, was fantastic. The hops stood out most with a slight bitterness that wasn't harsh, yet there was still a sweet malty undertone present. Fruity Bash left nothing hanging afterwards, and finished delectably crisp.



Beermigos Rating: Dinner with the Inlaws/Burger and Brew: This one could go either way. It had a lively bitter taste, yet finished very crisply that would allow one to further enjoy a burger with it. Yet, the alcohol content didn't seem very high, making it safe with the In laws.

1 comment:

pjames said...

hold one of those fruity bash brews for me. there is nothing i would rather taste than the product of some doug/john love.