Thursday, September 18, 2008

Frog Wart Pale Ale/ Kells Irish Lager double header

My bad about the fun fact Friday! from last week, I got caught up in some buiz and didn't get a chance to drop some knowledge. I figured I'd make it up by doing a double posting. Last weekend was probably the second biggest hippy festival in Eugene, the Eugene Celebration. Basically it's a Saturday market, except it goes late into the night and lasts all weekend. My main reason for going to the Celebration was Hillstomp. These two righteous dudes can get a crowd going better than any other two dudes I've ever seen, hands down. They rock the old Blues stuff with their primary influence being R.L. Burnside. I cannot emphasize enough, if they play near your city, GO YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. I've gone to a show of their's where they started at eleven and I kid you not, there was a man somewhere between the ages of 78-82 rockin' it.

I sipped on the Frog Wart Pale Ale while listening to Hillstomp, and dancing at the same time. The beer was good, it was a pretty standard Pale Ale by being a dark copper color with an off-white head. The malt in the beer dominated the taste, making it a pretty simple beer. However mixed with Hillstomp, I think I would enjoy drinking Ram's piss. There was a middle aged man in white pants, a Prince of Arabia vest on with no undershirt, and a Spanish conquistador facial hair style dancing, I'm telling you this band reaches all kinds of audiences.

The Kells Irish Lager had me intrigued from the moment I saw it at the Eugene City Brewing Co (The restaurant is owned by Rogue, thus they sell all kinds of Rouge beers along with making some themselves). When I think Irish beer I'm thinking something so dark that if you were in a pool of it, you would be able to see your submerged body. Not surprisingly, the lager was a darker tint of yellow than your average lager. And while it had a typical wheat dominating taste, it had an amazing, quick bitter bite from some type of hops they put in there that really sets it apart from other lagers.

Until tomorrow my Beer-migos, I've got to redeem myself for a lack of FFF! from last week. Until then, PROST!

P.S. If you want to here how old Dougy-poo is doing, check out his Europe blog, http://www.new.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdougtravels2008.blogspot.com%2F&h=689ebe530f492c7fe9366802e7b0c426

No comments: