Thursday, September 11, 2008

Veille Provision, Saison DUPONT, Belgian Farmhouse Ale

To our regular readers, you've all probably heard of the Bier Stein at this point. A couple of months ago I was at the Bier Stein with the other beermigo Pat. We went there to have a couple of beers on a relaxing summer evening. While there we ran into a former professor of ours who insisted on buying us beer. Who were we to decline.
This professor was very knowledgeable of the intricate details that encompass beer. After the first beer he walked off to the cooler, came back and poured us each a pint of what he deemed as the best Belgian beer he had found while living there for a year. It was a citrusy ale, almost apple, but this was different. I find that citrus flavored beers tend to have too much of a fruity flavored after taste for my liking. However, this beer had the noticeable citrus flavors and a very crisp and clean after taste that wasn't very sweet at all. It was packed with flavor without being too filling (yes I know that's eerily similar to Miller Lite but it's true). The color was a nice dark yellow and even though an Uncle Fester type character made John Lysaker accidentally foam the beer a bit too much at the top by running into his arm it didn't ruin it at all. I'm in Ireland right now but I will be heading through Belgium soon and I fully intend on trying to find this beer there so I can enjoy it again.
Another note: This professor shared an interesting fact with me that I think is noteworthy. He said that when in Belgium all the beer is fantastic except for Pilsners. According to him they're not bad, they're just not up to the exceptional level of every other type of beer in Belgium. He said to wait until Germany to get a great Pilsner. i know John will appreciate that.

Peace out ladies and gents

No comments: