Thursday, September 11, 2008

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

While touring the Guinness factory in Dublin, Ireland a new fact was brought to my attention. Guinness brews not 2 but 3 different brews. There is the original Guinness Draught which is distributed everywhere. The second is their Guinness Staught which is distributed to Canada, the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. the third is their Guinness Foreign Extra Stout only distributed within Ireland and to Africa, South & Central America and the Carri beans. I bought a bottle for 2 Euros because I knew I had to try this.
The main difference, aside from the yellow label, is that the alcohol content (7.5%) is higher to balance the overpowering taste that makes you take your sweet time while drinking this brew. As i drank this brew in my hostel I found myself completely agreeing with their wisdom. It has that familiar Guinness taste but this is even hoppier and sweeter. It finishes smooth like a good Guinness always does and after each taste you want to gulp down another one right away. The dark brown color is there with that sweet beer smell coming from the foam at the top. In Ireland the Guinness is like a completely different beer. It tastes like a beer milkshake. This particular beer, which was had at room temperature and from a bottle, still fit that standard.
It is incredibly hard to stop at just one Guinness. I had a Kilkenny's as previously recommended but I have to respectfully disagree with my fellow beermigo. Kilkenny's is delicious but there's nothing quite like a properly poured pint of Guinness in Ireland. Foreign Extra Stout is a unique twist on a Guinness. It's even more flavorful and therefore more overpowering, but still absolutely delicious.

Love, Doug

No comments: